Requesting access to the eICU Collaborative Research Database
The eICU Collaborative Research Database contains detailed information regarding the clinical care of ICU patients, so it must be treated with appropriate care and respect. Researchers seeking to use the database must formally request access with the steps below:
Complete the required training course
Prior to requesting access to the eICU Collaborative Research Database, you will need to complete the CITI “Data or Specimens Only Research” course:
- First register on the CITI program website, selecting “Massachusetts Institute of Technology Affiliates” as your organization affiliation: https://www.citiprogram.org/index.cfm?pageID=154&icat=0&ac=0
- Follow the links to add a Massachusetts Institute of Technology Affiliates course. In the Human Subjects training category, select the “Data or Specimens Only Research” course
- Complete the course and save a copy of your completion report. The completion report lists all modules completed, with dates and scores.
Request access to the eICU Collaborative Research Database:
- Register for an account on PhysioNet: https://physionet.org. If you already have a PhysioNet account, log in.
- Go to the project page at: https://physionet.org/content/eicu-crd/
- Find the “Files” section in the project description
- Click “credentialed user” link, then follow the instructions to submit your application for credentialed access. Remember to provide your CITI completion report.
- When your application has been approved you will receive emails containing instructions for downloading the database from PhysioNetWorks. Approval may take several business days, and will be delayed if your request is missing any required information.
Please be sure to provide all requested information. Submissions that are clearly incomplete, incorrect, or frivolous may be discarded without notice.
If you are a student or a postdoc, you must provide your supervisor’s name and contact information in the “reference” section of the form. If you are not listed in a directory or other easy-to-find page of your organization’s website, please provide the name and contact information of a reference such as a supervisor or colleague. Do not list yourself as reference.
Be sure to upload the completion report from the CITI “Data or Specimens Only Research” training program (PDF or image file). The completion report lists all modules completed, with dates and scores. If you would like to submit multiple pages, please combine them into a single pdf file.