Purpose: Intake and output recorded for patients. Entered from the nursing flowsheet (either manually or interfaced into the hospital system).
- PATIENT on
- Absence of measurement does not indicate absence of intake or output.
netTotalare cumulative measurements up to the current offset. The value measured for the given row is stored in
- When several entries are recorded at the same time for a patient, the values in intaketotal, outputtotal, dialysistotal and nettotal are duplicated!
- outputtotal does not only corrspond to urine output, but also output from drains, blood loss, etc.
- cellvaluenumeric is always POSITIVE, while dialysistotal is NEGATIVE for fluid removal and POSITIVE when fluid is administered to the patient via the dialysis machine.
- With each new entry in intakeoutput, the current daily net total is reported. If several entries happen at the same time, the daily net total will be repeated multiple times. So if you are trying to compute the daily fluid balance, you need to first isolate unique instances of daily net total (
select distinct patientunitstayid, intakeoutputoffset, nettotal) and then sum these unique values. Failure to do so will result in a grossly overestimated daily fluid balance.
||int||NOT NULL||foreign key link to the patient table||FK|
||int||IDENTITY||surrogate key for the intake output data||PK|
||int||NOT NULL||number of minutes from unit admit time that the I and O value was observed|
||decimal(12,4)||NULL||total intake value up to the current offset, e.g.: 150.0000, 326.0000, 142.0000, etc.|
||decimal(12,4)||NULL||total output value up to the current offset, e.g.: 230.0000, 350.0000, 150.0000, etc.|
||decimal(12,4)||NULL||total dialysis value up to the current offset, e.g.: -96.0000, -2300.0000, 0.0000, etc.|
||decimal(12,4)||NULL||calculated net value of: intakeTotal – outputTotal + dialysisTotal|
||int||NOT NULL||number of minutes from unit admit time that the I and O value was entered|
||varchar(500)||NOT NULL||the root path of info from the label in I and O e.g.: flowsheet||Flowsheet Cell Labels|
||varchar(255)||NOT NULL||The predefined row label text from I and O e.g.: Enteral flush/meds panda, D5 0.45 NS w/20 mEq KCL 1000 ml, Continuous infusion meds, etc.|
||decimal(12,4)||NOT NULL||the value of the current I and O row e.g.: 100.0000, 60.9000, 10.0000, etc.|
||varchar(255)||NOT NULL||text conversion of the numeric value of the I and O row e.g.: 100, 360, 50|
eICU-CRD v2.0 documentation